30 December 2016

Song of the Week #4 ~ Victoria Wood

In memory of Victoria Wood (1953-2016), a comic genius and legend.

"The Ballad of Barry and Freda" – Victoria Wood, Victoria Wood Live (1988)



This week's Song of the Week is "The Ballad of Barry and Freda" by Victoria Wood. It's a funny, witty and charming song which showcases Victoria's trademark observational comedy as well as her musical talent. This is one of my favourite pieces of music ever, and I adore the pure brilliance of the lyrics. I rarely have such admiration for a person's talent both as a writer and as a performer. I think it takes someone very special to write a song like this, yet Victoria always came across as such a humble person; I hope she knew just how good her songs really are. This version was recorded live in 1988, enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment